How much do you know about box elder bugs? These pests are frequently found invading Midwest homes in the late summer and early fall months as they search for a place to overwinter. In fact, right now your home in Minneapolis, Alexandria or nearby in Minnesota could be hosting box elder bugs as they are taking a long winter nap. So, to test your knowledge on these insects and to help you learn more about box elder bug control, here are a few questions in our game of Box Elder Bug Trivia. Give yourself 1 point for each correct answer.
- Do box elder bugs prefer warmer or cooler temperatures?
- True or false, box elder bugs bite.
- What is the staple in their diet, meaning what do they prefer to eat?
- What are the two colors typically found on box elder bugs?
- True or false, box elder bugs can cause serious structural damage when they infest homes.
- Box elder bugs prefer warmer temperatures, which is why they find homes to spend the winter in.
- False, box elder bugs do not bite and are not considered a danger to humans, simply a nuisance pest.
- As their name suggests, box elder bugs prefer to feed on box elder trees. But you can add a point if you mentioned Ash trees, Maple trees or Cherry trees which they will also feed on.
- Their colorings are usually black with red markings around the wings.
- False, box elder bugs do congregate in large numbers but they do not cause severe damage to property.