Rat Control & Treatment
Do you have a rat problem in or around your home? Contact us today to get treatment and get rid of unwanted pests!
What are pest rats?
Rats are long-tailed rodents and are found in the order Rodentia and the genus Rattus. These rodents commonly measure around 6 inches long and have thin grey, brown or black fur.
Rats can be found on every continent other than Antarctica. Unfortunately, they are common pests because they often depend on humans for food, water, and shelter. Rat infestations can happen year round but are particularly prevalent in the late summer and early fall.
How do rats get in my house?
Rats are very dependent on humans for their survival, especially during the winter. These pesky rodents can get into homes or buildings through tiny cracks and crevices or by gnawing through wood, insulation and wires.
Rats, like other pests, enter homes and businesses in search of shelter, food, and water. If these necessities are available, rats will take up residence indoors anywhere.
How do I prevent a rat infestation?
The best way to get and keep rats out of your property is by getting help from a professional pest control company like Plunkett’s. However, in the meantime, here are a few key steps that can help keep rodents away from your space:
- Only allow food in designated areas
- Remove paper clutter and trash regularly
- Clean up crumbs quickly
- Fix leaky pipes and keep your home or building dry
- Put weather strips on doors and windows
- Repair and fill small holes, cracks, and crevices
- Cover vent pipes with hardware cloth secured with wire
- Replace vegetation with gravel around at least a one-foot perimeter of the building
How can Plunkett’s help with my rat problem?
When you call Plunkett’s for rodent control & removal services, your expert technician will take each of the following steps:
1. We begin our process with a thorough evaluation. We inspect both the interior and exterior of the building in search of evidence of rats: damage, nests, feeding trails, holes, gaps, openings used as entry routes, burrows near buildings, and potential food sources that may be attracting rats.
2. We close holes and gaps that can be sealed on the spot using compressed copper mesh. Any larger repairs that need to be made in order to keep your property rat-free, will be recommended.
3. If it’s necessary, we will apply rat baits in inaccessible locations and/or in tamper-resistant bait stations. Keep in mind that our primary consideration being the safety of our clients, their children, and pets.
4. We will schedule and perform at least one follow-up visit to ensure that all rat activity has ceased, to remove any uneaten bait, and remove dead rats.
To get and keep rats out of your home or business, get in touch with Plunkett’s Pest Control today. We’re prepared to keep pests in their place… not yours!
Rat Control With Plunkett's
At Plunkett’s, our goal is to help you quickly, conveniently, and in the most cost-effective way. We make every effort to be with you the same day or the very next day.
Rat Frequently Asked Questions
How Do Rats Survive the Winter?
When temperatures get low and food gets scarce, rats need to find a way to stay warm and survive the winter. Rats survive the winter by stockpiling, burrowing, nesting, and by being clever at getting what they need. Learn more about how rats survive and thrive in the winter!
What Do Rats Eat?
Rats are omnivorous scavengers who will eat nearly whatever they can find. They’re particularly attracted to food sources they can rely on for extended periods of time without expending much effort. Outside, they eat berries, seeds, nuts, birdseed, and fallen fruits. Inside, they eat dry goods, pet food, and sugar. Learn more!
How Do I Keep Rats Out of My Business?
Keep rats out of your business by storing and sealing food properly, inspecting your property, sealing holes and cracks, and getting help from a professional pest control company. Learn more about keeping rats out of your business!
How Can I Tell if I Have Rats in My Business?
How Can I Tell if I Have Rats In My Business?
Rat infestations leave behind all types of telltale signs… if you just know what to look for. If you think you have rats, here’s what you might find: nests, gnaw marks, grease marks, and droppings. Learn more!