Rat Control & Treatment
Do you have a rat problem in your home? Can you hear rats in your walls? Contact us today for professional rodent treatment. We remove rats in the walls in homes and businesses and keep them out. Stop the scratching and squeaking today.
Facts About Rats
Rats are long-tailed rodents and are found in the order Rodentia and the genus Rattus. These rodents commonly measure around 6 inches long and have thin gray, brown or black fur.
Rats build their nests on every continent other than Antarctica. Unfortunately, they are common pests because they often depend on humans for food, water, and shelter. Rat infestations can happen year round but are particularly prevalent in the late summer and early fall.
What Kind of Rats Are There?
There are over 60 species of rats around the world. However, the most common rats that enter US homes are:
How Do Rats Get in The house?
These pesky rodents can get into homes or buildings through tiny cracks and crevices or by gnawing through wood, insulation and wires. Your Plunkett’s technician can perform a rat inspection to determine where the entry points are in and around your home.
Rats, like other pests, enter homes and businesses in search of shelter, food sources, and water. If you have these necessities readily available, rats will try to find their way in.
Rat Prevention Tips
The best way to get and keep rats out of your property is by using proven rodent services from a professional pest control company like Plunkett’s. However, in the meantime, here are a few key steps to help you get rid of rodents in walls, attics, crawl spaces and other places they love to hide:
- Keep food in designated areas
- Cover and remove paper clutter and trash regularly
- Clean up crumbs quickly
- Fix leaky pipes and keep your home or building dry
- Put weather strips on doors and windows
- Repair and fill small holes, cracks, and crevices
- Cover vent pipes with hardware cloth secured with wire
- Replace vegetation with gravel around at least a one-foot perimeter of the building
How can Plunkett’s help with my rat problem?
When you call Plunkett’s for rodent control & removal services, your expert technician will take each of the following steps:
1. We begin our process with a thorough evaluation. We inspect both the interior and exterior of the building in search of evidence of rat droppings, gnaw marks, nests, feeding trails, holes, gaps, openings used as entry routes, burrows near buildings, and potential food sources that may be attracting rats.
2. We close holes and gaps that can be sealed on the spot using compressed copper mesh. We’ll recommend any larger repairs that need to be made in order to keep your property rat-free.
3. If it’s necessary, we will apply rodenticides in inaccessible locations and/or in tamper-resistant bait stations. Our primary consideration is always the safety of our clients, their children, and pets.
4. We will schedule and perform at least one follow-up visit to ensure that all rat activity has ceased, to remove any uneaten rodenticide baits, and remove dead rats.
For complete rat service, get in touch with Plunkett's Pest Control today. We keep pests in their place... not yours!
Professional Rodent Control With Plunkett's
At Plunkett’s, our goal is to alleviate your pest problem quickly, conveniently, and in the most cost-effective way. We make every effort to be with you the same day or the very next day.
Rat Frequently Asked Questions
How Do Rats Survive the Winter?
When temperatures get low and food gets scarce, rats need to find a way to stay warm and survive the winter. Rats survive the winter by stockpiling, burrowing, nesting, and by being clever at getting what they need. Learn more about how rats survive and thrive in the winter!
What Do Rats Eat?
Rats are omnivorous scavengers who will eat nearly whatever they can find. They’re particularly attracted to food sources they can rely on for extended periods of time without expending much effort. Outside, they eat berries, seeds, nuts, birdseed, and fallen fruits. Inside, they eat dry goods, pet food, and sugar. Learn more!
How Do I Keep Rats Out of My Business?
Keep rats out of your business by storing and sealing food properly, inspecting your property, sealing holes and cracks, and getting help from a professional pest control company. Learn more about keeping rats out of your business!
How Can I Tell if I Have Rats in My Business?
Rats leave behind all types of telltale signs. Look for: nests, gnaw marks, grease marks, and droppings. Learn more!
What does a Rat’s nest look like?
Rats are nocturnal and build their nests in dark quiet places like the insides of walls, crawl spaces, storerooms and utility boxes. They will use natural materials like dry grass, plants and twigs or found materials like cardboard, fabric, insulation or paper. Look for shredded piles 4-6” in diameter. Rats are social and you may discover multiple nests in the same location.